FROM THE VERY BEGINNING OF TOWNSHIPSMILE WE HAVE WORKED ACCORDING TO FAIRTRADE CRITERIA.
We find it very important that every employee in the chain earns an honest living for his work. Fair Trade promotes sustainable development in international trade, particularly for exports from poor countries to rich Western countries.
We have deliberately chosen not to apply for an official Fair Trade certification, because it is a very expensive process. We also found out that our customers are interested in the visual story behind the scenes, which we give them. Therefore we have choosen to combine our search for new products with visits to our artisans and share their story in Social Media. Because we work directly with producers, we know everything about the way we work and that this is done in a proper and responsible way.
De 10 Fair Trade criteria van WFTO
- Creating Opportunities for Economically Disadvantaged Producers
- Transparency and Accountability
- Fair Trading Practices
- Payment of a Fair Price
- Ensuring no Child Labour and Forced Labour
- Commitment to Non Discrimination, Gender Equity and Women’s Economic Empowerment, and Freedom of Association.
- Ensuring Good Working Conditions
- Providing Capacity Building
- Promoting Fair Trade
- Respect for the Environment
Want to learn more about Fairtrade? Check the WFTO website.